The Edmonton Regiment
In a reorganization of the Non-Permanent Active Militia in March 1920, the 101st Regiment (Edmonton Fusiliers) became simply The Edmonton Regiment with two active and three reserve battalions. Each of these battalions was designated to perpetuate one of the CEF battalions that were raised in Edmonton. The 1st Battalion perpetuated the 49th Battalion and was made up of many of the officers and men who served in the 49th. The 2nd Battalion, which perpetuated the 9th Battalion, consisted mostly of members of the Edmonton Fusiliers. The three reserve battalions perpetuated the 51st, 63rd and 66th battalions respectively. As part of this perpetuation, the 1st Battalion, The Edmonton Regiment, inherited the battle honours, history and traditions of the 49th Battalion, CEF.
In 1924, the Edmonton Regiment was split into two separate regiments of three battalions each – one active and two reserve. The first regiment, still called The Edmonton Regiment, consisted of the original 1st, 3rd and 4th battalions. The second regiment, now called The Edmonton Fusiliers, consisted of the original 2nd and 5th battalions plus a new reserve battalion. The 1st Battalion of the Edmonton Regiment continued to perpetuate the 49th Battalion which was reflected in their shoulder titles which read 49th Edmonton Regiment.
At the outbreak of Second World War, The Edmonton Regiment was chosen as an Active Service battalion. It trained in England from 1940 to 1943 and was part of the defense force.